Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chard for beginners

Recipie Yam* Leek Chard.

So we have rainbow chard here, a leek, butter, and pre-chopped frozen sweet potatoes. You can of course use raw but I take shortcuts where I can get them. I first had a variation on this at Cafe Flora here in Seattle. This is a great dish to talk people into being chard fans. It turned me onto the stuff, and I've converted a couple people with this dish. Its very easy, chop, heat, eat. Its also a great way to force more veg into your day as a lazy weekend brunch can easily be a boozy, carby, meaty affair.

Chard prep: You need to rinse chard, kale, leeks, and most other greens REALLY well. Go ahead and do it twice. They frequently get muddy and you don't want that grit especially if you are trying to convince a new-comer.

To prep the kale I chop off the stems by folding the leaf in half, chopping off the stem, bunching the stems and chopping them roughly 1/2" thick. Set aside.








Then I cut up the chard leaves roughly 2"sq.

Leeks cut perpendicular, leave out the tough green ends, although these are good to save if you are planning to make stock. Don't forget to rinse!

Saute leeks in a generous (double pat?) of butter you want the leeks to melt not caramelize. Then add your frozen or raw cubed sweet potatoes. If you or someone you are serving is less than enthusiastic on the chard go 50/50 potatoes to chard, once you decide you love chard you can have less. Add your chard stems, once they have softened you can pile on the chard leaves.

They won't really fit, they kind of mound and try to spill out of your pan. This is normal, wait patiently for a minute or cram a lid on to speed the wilting process. Once they've wilted everything will suddenly fit in your pan. Toss all your veg to be sure its incorporated. This dish is similar to a hash.



My favorite way to eat this is topped with an egg, runny yolk in my case. It works great to fry eggs to order on the side, especially if you are making this for a large crew. This is a fantastic breakfast dish if stretched with some nice toast, maybe grits, and bacon for those that eat it. This particular pan was eaten mostly by me as a post-work out lunch.

On the day in question I cracked two eggs right into the hot pan and topped with a lid to set the whites. I probably ate 2/3rds of this as a lunch but as i said it could serve 2-4 depending on what you had as sides.

*Yeah, I know sweet potatoes aren't yams, and sweet potato / yam confusion is a serious issue but its easier to say.

2 comments:

  1. I just read the thing that said if you swirl your greens in salted water (before washing), it'll strip most of the dirt off. Clever, huh? Also, maybe I'll give chard one more try with this recipe...or just use spinach instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I totally need more chard in my life!

    P.S. I totally love the title of your blog!

    ReplyDelete