Monday, April 9, 2012

Live From Arizona

After a brief hiatus, Candice and I are back.  Since the last post I made, I've moved to beautiful Arizona to be closer to my family.

The people I live with are vegetarian and have forbidden meat cooking in the house.  This isn't a big deal to me, I can do just fine without meat.  In fact, I've probably been saving money without meat.

But for the past couple of weeks I've been feeling sick to my stomach.  I haven't quite figured out what's going on and I'll feel bad for a few days and then fine for a day or so.  I started to consider my diet a little bit more.  Questioning what has changed and what's remained the same.  I suspect that I'm dehydrated a lot of the time and I think drinking more water has helped.  I'm not in the pacific northwest anymore, I can't just absorb water from the air, I have to physically drink it.  Also, despite living with vegetarians, I think I'm eating less vegetables and more (gluten free) grains.

Yesterday I decided it was time to add some vegetables to my diet so I went to the nearby corporate health food store and bought some (mostly non local, mostly conventionally grown, overpriced) produce.  The most important thing for me this week, and for the rest of the time I'm doing my student teaching, is convenience.  I eat breakfast in the car, lunch needs to be portable and not require refrigeration or a microwave.
I came up with the following:
Egg, cheese, and potato rolled tacos (okay, so not exactly a good source of vegetables).
Roasted vegetables and quinoa salad (asparagus, red onion, red/orange/yellow sweet peppers, and Mexican Squash with quinoa, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper).
 

Lemons are in season here and my mom's lemon tree has been extremely generous.  If you add a little gin to your lemonade, most of your troubles will go away.
Here you'll see me eating a mango popsicle and some lemonade while I write this.

So here's my list as of today, day one:
1. Lemons!
2. asparagus
3. red onion
4. sweet peppers
5. Mexican Squash
6. mango
7. cucumber
8. parsley

Not too shabby for day one.


2 comments:

  1. Quinoa + roasted veg would be a really good lunch. I.e. would sit fine at room temp for a loooong time, no worse for the wear.

    I know this isn't the most helpful tip in the world right now but i added lemon zest to some (beef) meatballs the other day and they blew everyone away. You need to get some Parmesan into your lemon situation. Roasted broccoli w/zest and parm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemon zest in smoked salmon alfredo sauce is bomb! Lemon juice on roasted broccolinis, also bomb!

    ReplyDelete